Movie Spotlight: My Friend Dahmer

My Friend Dahmer is a 2017 movie starring Ross Lynch, Alex Wolff, Vincent Kartheiser, Anne Heche, Dallas Roberts, Tommy Nelson, and Harrison Holzer. The movie, which is about Jeffrey Dahmer's life as a teenager, is based on a 2012 graphic novel by John "Derf" Backderf, who was friends with Dahmer in high school.

Jeffrey Dahmer (Ross Lynch) is a high school student in Bath, Ohio. He lives with his parents (Dallas Roberts and Anne Heche) and younger brother and spends his free time collecting dead animals and dissolving them with acid. He exhibits pretty strange behavior at school too, which causes aspiring comic artist John "Derf" Backderf (Alex Wolff) and his friends to form the "Dahmer Fan Club." They include Jeffrey in pranks, encouraging his odd behavior, and Derf often draws him (and these drawings would become the basis for Derf's My Friend Dahmer graphic novel). When Jeffrey's parents start fighting all the time, he begins drinking excessively and killing animals in order to deal with what's going on at home. And the rest is history (very sad, disturbing history).

My Friend Dahmer is a fascinating portrait of a serial killer in the making. I read the graphic novel a few years ago, so I was really interested to see the movie. All the actors gave impressive performances, especially Ross Lynch and Alex Wolff, and I thought the ending was great. I enjoyed the movie, but I also watched it with a feeling of dread because I (like most of the people who will watch this movie) knew how it would all turn out. If you're interested in Jeffrey Dahmer or the psyche of serial killers, you should definitely check out both the movie and the graphic novel.

My rating: 8/10


          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay Home and Read Never Trust an Angel for Free!

Book Spotlight: The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy by Elizabeth Kendall

Unraveled: The Long Island Serial Killer